The Dark Web Explained to Parents in English
The Dark Web
The dark web is like an iceberg
There is an open web, a deep web and a dark web.
The open web is for searching everyday things like on Google.
The deep web is password protected and its
content is not available to the public.
Hospital records and databases found on the deep web.
The deep web is also accessed by banks, governments and other organisations.
The dark web is the hidden part of the iceberg.
Journalists or human rights activists sometimes use the dark web if freedom of speech is controlled by oppressive regimes.
- The dark web is used by criminals, predators and groomers to target victims.
- Criminals carry out illegal activities online…
- by selling weapons, drugs and more…
- such as human trafficking or the promotion of terrorism.
- To access the dark web, a special software called TOR is needed.
- If your child has accessed the dark web what are the r
- They are at risk of grooming, exploitation, radicalisation and sex abuse.
- If you are worried have an honest talk.
- Help them develop safer behaviours online.
- Tell them you do not want your child to be exposed to criminals, predators and terrorists.
- Be aware of what your children are doing online.
You can speak to:
- Your child’s school, college or a safeguarding lead.