Grooming Explained to Parents in English
Grooming is a process used by offenders and predators
to prepare vulnerable young people and children for:
‣ Sexual abuse
‣ Criminal activity
‣ Violent and nonviolent extremism
It’s a process, not a one-off event or act.
It starts with befriending online on social media.
Groomers use social media messaging, images and video…
Such as, Facebook, WhatsApp, Instagram, Snapchat.
Groomers befriend and create a bond with a vulnerable person.
- The young person may be afraid to speak to an adult about what is happening.
- Parents should always be vigilant .
- Ask your child what they are doing online.
- Tell them about stranger danger and make sure you know who they are chatting to.
- Tell your children not to share personal information. They don’t know who they really, they are talking to.
- Let them know you are always there to support them.
You can speak to:
- or school/college safeguarding lead.
- If your child is about to meet up with an offender!
- Call 999 or the police immediately!